I have always loved the feeling of cold air blowing against my face. I could feel the wind entering my body, filling my lungs. I love the way my hair suddenly becomes untamable, flying in every direction. Something about car rides soothe me. With the music blasting until I can feel the vibrations of the beat throughout the car, and the breeze pushing me back into my seat, I can finally relax. I have no worries or cares, it is hard to concentrate on anything else other than the world that surrounds me. Whether we may be passing by the mountain to catch a glimpse of “the golden hour” as the sunset spills through the cracks of the mountain or going through town passing busy streets overflowing with cars and people in a rush to get to their destination I find calmness. It is comforting going on those car rides. There doesn’t have to be any talking, the music will fill the silence. There is nothing preoccupying my mind, for however long the ride will be, I have no responsibilities and I can forget all of my worries.
My favorite is a late night car ride. It's quieter and less people are out.The breeze is colder and I can feel the goosebumps on my skin. It wakes me up and I can finally feel alive. I don't feel claustrophobic with loud people or cars passing. The street lights and occasional drunk college kids stumbling their way home are the only things around me. I love the clear nights though, where the moon and the millions of stars guide me through the dark. I can look up through the sunroof and see that these stars that seem to be so still and unmoving, are so beautiful which brings me peace so that I can feel calm. Yet on the nights when nothing can be seen and the clouds block any light that tries to peak through, the captivating darkness comforts me. It isolates me and creates an escape from the world. The car, like a flashlight, searches through the darkness turning in all different directions exploring unchartered territory. On late night car rides, I feel like the only one on earth. It's a getaway in which I can feel free without a care in the world about any other person other than myself.
In the car, I feel happy. Whether I am on a late night adventure with a friend or during the day time where me and my brother rock out to our favorite song on his iPod while on our way to the supermarket, we always find a way to have a good time. I realize that these are the moments I should cherish because these are the memories I will look back upon in years to come. Car rides are my place of safety. They bring me joy in being with the people I love and help me get away from my hectic life if only for that short period of time.
Val, I loved this entry! You used such good imagery, I'm impressed. I love car rides too, they are so relaxing. I love how you compared how different night and day is when it comes to the car rides. I love night ones as well because usually I fall asleep and that's always really nice. Do you have a particular person you prefer to drive with?
ReplyDeleteThank you Kristen! I love falling asleep in the car too! My brother is definitely my favorite person to go driving with mostly because he plays some pretty awesome music.
DeleteI thought you did such a great job with this blog Val! I really felt a connection with your writing and could completely agree on everything you said! Car rides are one of my favorite things to do as well and I think it is a very relatable topic among others. Do you think that you will enjoy these car rides more or less when you start driving by yourself?
ReplyDeleteThank you Dominique! Yes I think that a lot of people love car rides and can relate! When I start driving I am unsure if I will feel the same way when driving. Though I think that I will still love the time spent in the car, its very different when you are a driver compared to being the person in the passenger seat.
ReplyDeleteFantastic voice, Valerie. I, too, have found the car to be a place of calm. Being in transit is a very soothing feeling, like turning a page in your favorite novel.
ReplyDeleteThank you Joey! I totally agree!
DeleteI really love this blog, I completely understand how you feel, I too love car rides. You have such a great voice through out. The imagery and use of similes and metaphors is truly effective. Great job!
ReplyDeleteThank you Sam! It means a lot!
ReplyDeleteI have the same happy place! it is so soothing to be in a car with no cares in the world. You used a lot of great descriptive and happy tones to make your experiences come to life
ReplyDeleteYou really created some great images here Val. I like the part about the car searching through the darkness. This is well written and I can really get a sense of how you feel. Do you prefer to drive on back roads or through town?
ReplyDelete