This past school year I have been taking photography class. In this class we study the different types of photography and techniques we could use to make our photographs "unique" like aperture, shutter speed, and focusing. Mr. Martin would often use power points showing examples of photography that would help us get inspiration for the upcoming assignments.
While watching one of these power points this image popped out to me. Unlike the others, I couldn't tell what the message behind this photo was for. It stumped me. Why was this man grinning with such seriousness surrounding him? And why was everybody staring at him in the first place? There were a million questions I wanted to figure out in this image but I knew I would never get the answers to.
Over time I have learned to like these kinds of pictures that let the imagination wander and not having to know an exact answer. I enjoy this photograph so much because aside from being pretty humorous in my opinion, there are no right or wrong ways to interpret this picture. When you look at it there is no simple reasoning to why this young man is smiling. It also struck me when I first saw it because oddly enough I felt a connection to him. It was like seeing myself in a situation where I was supposed to be acting serious or solemn and all of a sudden I think of something funny that happened to me the day before and I can't help but laugh to myself.
Over time I have learned to like these kinds of pictures that let the imagination wander and not having to know an exact answer. I enjoy this photograph so much because aside from being pretty humorous in my opinion, there are no right or wrong ways to interpret this picture. When you look at it there is no simple reasoning to why this young man is smiling. It also struck me when I first saw it because oddly enough I felt a connection to him. It was like seeing myself in a situation where I was supposed to be acting serious or solemn and all of a sudden I think of something funny that happened to me the day before and I can't help but laugh to myself.
The man grinning in the picture and the reaction from the couple to the side of him create a mystery. The gestures of these people make the situation apparent and it is up to the people viewing this photo to come up with the story that took place after the photograph had been taken. Though this idea of "making up your own story" might be frustrating to some, I was intrigued and delighted with the fact that I myself could figure out my own meaning to this image because if you are always handed information with no questioning then what's the purpose?

Val, this was such a great blog! I loved your interpretation of this photo, because when I first looked at it I was certainly intrigued about what you would say. I loved your style of writing in this blog because it was interesting and something I could totally relate to. When you first saw this, what was your first initial thought as to what the smiling guy was smiling about? I think in the future you could talk more about a specific experience you had where this picture would describe what you were feeling It would make the piece more personal! Great job!
ReplyDeleteThank you Kristen! I agree and i think that this photo holds a lot more meaning when you look deeper into it. That is a very hard question to answer because every time I look at this image i think of another reason to why this man would be smiling. But i guess that the first time I saw this picture my initial though was that the man was smiling because he was laughing at someone or the couple beside him because he found them funny. Thanks for the advice! I will definitely take that into consideration next time.
ReplyDeleteI really like how creative you were when writing this entry! I completely agree with you that images like these can help a persons mind wander off in many different directions. I love the way that you interpreted it and related the smirking guy to yourself! It's strange to think that the photographer could have had a completely different idea in his head when taking this photo, and how you completely could have seen it in a different way than he had! Do you think that if you ever published your photographs that you would have them easier to understand? Or do you think that you would make them more difficult with an underlying message?
ReplyDeleteThank Dominique! I think that knowing that you could have totally interpreted a piece differently than what the photographer had seen is what makes it exciting! If I were to publish my own photographs I would love to make it more difficult for viewers to see the underlying message. I like this idea because it enforces the viewer to look deeper into the piece and create their own opinion on the picture.
DeleteThank you*
DeleteVal, count me in as a subscriber to your blog. You are a great writer. I love how you pose so many questions and offer possibilities and how it was honest and interesting. I also really like the photo, there are so many potential interpretations and I love the creative aspect. Good job!
ReplyDeleteThanks Sam! That is so nice of you to say!
Delete