I have experienced failure many times in my life some experiences worse than others. There is one experience that stands out of the others for me. When someone close to me was diagnosed with breast cancer it put me in a rough situation. At the time she was diagnosed, I tried to pretend like the cancer was not really there. I put it on the side of my life with the hopes that some how I could somehow control the situation. After some time I realized that this was becoming a bigger part of our lives than I originally thought it would. I would go to appointments with her sometimes sitting in the waiting room for hours listening to the same songs on my iPod over and over. And after a while the front desk women would even greet me by name. Her surgery date was set and our sad reality was becoming real, and this was the first time I came to the realization of my failure. I tried so much to forget the cancer believing that it would go away if I just pretended it wasn’t there. But I think back now wishing that I just accepted it this way I could move past it. My fear of this illness prevented me from facing the truth which kept me from being the person I wish I was during this hard time for her. Looking back I wish I could have changed the way I dealt with this problem from the start.
http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/breast-cancer-awareness-month
http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/breast-cancer-awareness-month
I loved this entry even though I know this was a difficult time for you! With experiences like this, people learn so much about themselves and I can tell you had the same experience. I loved how personal this entry was because I could tell exactly how you were feeling throughout the cancer process. I know your failure will help you out in the future and I still think you handled everything very well. One suggestion is to just expand a little more on your true feelings. Also, how did you feel right when you found out this person was diagnosed?
ReplyDeleteThank you Kristen! I agree and I think this experience has helped me become a better me and realize what's important in life! The moment I heard this news everything felt unreal. I didn't know how to react or what to say since I had never been in this place before. It hurt on the inside but wanting to be supportive, I tried to be as optimistic as I could be.
DeleteVal, this entry was really touching to me because I was able to have a better understanding on how you must have felt during this time in your life. I can't even imagine how hard this must have been for you! I think that it's really awesome that you pointed out how you wish you had handled things differently. It shows just how strong of a person you are because not many people would be able to do that. Through the journey did you have someone you could turn to who could help you cope with your emotions, or did you not like talking about it?
ReplyDeleteThanks Dominique! I learned a lot about myself and the people around me at this time. Originally I did not like sharing my feelings about this because honestly I did not want to think about it. It was very upsetting but later on I was able to share my emotions with people who were going through the same thing as me and knew how it felt. My friends also showed great support for me through the entire process.
ReplyDelete